What are some common brain injuries?
A concussion is the most common type of TBI. A concussion results when the brain is traumatized a result of sudden movement or an impact, typically happening as a result of a blow to the head or violent shaking of the head. It can take years for a concussion to fully heal.
In addition to a concussion, other types of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Contusion – bleeding on the brain that results from a direct impact to the head
- Coup-contrecoup – which occurs when the head is hit with such force that there is a contusion at the site of impact and on the direct opposite side of the brain (caused by the brain slamming into the skull wall)
- Diffuse axonal – caused by shaking of the head, such as is the case in shaken baby syndrome
- Penetration injury – which is the result of the brain being penetrated by an object
- Anoxia – which occurs when the brain does not receive any oxygen
- Hypoxic – which occurs when the brain does not receive enough oxygen