Oversized Load Truck Accident Lawyer in California
Any large truck is heavy enough to inflict severe damage when a collision happens. However, trucks hauling oversized loads are especially hazardous. They are cumbersome to drive, take up a lot of space, and their contents are at heightened risk of spilling onto the roadway. Accidents involving oversized loads can result in catastrophic or fatal injuries that have heartbreaking consequences.
If you’ve been hurt in a collision with a truck carrying an oversized load in California, the Law Offices of Pius Joseph can help you demand fair compensation for your medical care, pain and suffering, and other losses. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced trucking accident lawyer.
What is an Oversized Load Accident?
California has regulations for transporting oversized loads to reduce the likelihood of accidents. These include rules for the vehicle’s dimensions and when and how they can travel. For example:
- Permits are required for oversized loads if the load exceeds the maximum limit of weight, height, length, and width for the transporting truck.
- Travel times are restricted in major cities (Sacramento, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco).
- Some loads may require a Pilot Car escort, one in the front and one behind.
- All oversized load trucks must display a banner of the type of load, such as overhang, long load, or wide load.
- Strobe lights or flashing lights must be used on top of the truck.
The unwieldy nature of an oversized load makes it more difficult for the driver to maneuver safely. There’s a higher risk for accidents due to:
- Excessive height – Oversized loads may not fit under certain bridges, so the driver must be careful of their clearance.
- Greater stopping distance – Such heavy vehicles need more time to slow down or stop when emergencies arise. Maintaining a safe distance in high-traffic or metropolitan areas requires a trucker’s full attention.
- Balance problems with unusual cargo – An unevenly weighted load can reduce the control a truck driver has over the rig. Even with the best planning and placement, some loads are naturally unbalanced, which means a driver must drive with extreme care.
Oversized truckloads are more vulnerable to the following problems:
- Rollover accidents
- Tire blowouts
- Cargo spillage
A California truck accident attorney can help determine your legal options if you or someone you love was hurt in an oversized truckload accident.
The Impact of Oversized Load Accidents
After a collision with an oversized load, victims may suffer from catastrophic injuries that impair their ability to work, live independently, and maintain the lifestyle they once enjoyed. Many require extensive medical treatment for the rest of their lives. California truck accident laws allow victims to seek financial compensation from the party(s) responsible for what happened. However, obtaining that money can be challenging without a lawyer’s help. Insurance companies are reluctant to make fair payouts on truck accident claims, especially those with a high dollar value.
Your Rights to Truck Accident Compensation
A successful truck accident claim can provide victims with compensation for a wide range of losses, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Any necessary modifications to your home or vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
An oversized load truck accident attorney can properly value your claim, construct a strong case against the driver or other liable parties, and advocate for your interests.
Get Help From a California Oversized Load Truck Accident Lawyer
You have rights after being hit by a negligent trucker, and the legal team at the Law Offices of Pius Joseph can help you enforce them. Contact our offices today for a free case review with a California truck accident attorney.