Truck Accident Settlement Process | Call or Contact us Online Today for a Free Case Review
Nothing can prepare you for the shock of a truck accident in Sacramento, especially if you suffered serious injuries. Crashes involving large commercial vehicles often cause life-changing harm. If a truck driver or other party injured you, you could file a truck accident seeking compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Many truck accident claims end in settlements, but the path to a fair resolution is not always smooth. Tractor-trailer accident cases tend to have a high dollar value, and insurance companies are always more likely to dispute expensive claims. A Sacramento truck accident lawyer can assist during settlement negotiations and argue for the money you deserve.
Understanding Truck Accidents in Sacramento
Sacramento is no stranger to truck accidents. According to data from the California Highway Patrol (CHP), 271 truck crashes in Sacramento County resulted in injuries in a single recent year. Another 11 wrecks were fatal. Statewide, more than 7,000 semi-truck crashes led to injuries and 344 others were fatal.
Common causes of truck accidents in the Sacramento area include:
- Reckless driving
- Driver error
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Mechanical failures or defects
- Improper truck maintenance
- Unsecured loads
- Equipment failures and tire blowouts
- Hazardous road conditions
- Other negligent motorists or pedestrians
Immediate Steps After a Truck Accident
You should take these steps in the aftermath of a truck crash to protect your legal rights:
- Move your vehicle out of traffic if it’s safe.
- Call 911.
- See if others involved in the crash need assistance.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with everyone involved in the truck wreck.
- Take pictures of the crash scene from multiple angles.
- Ask witnesses to provide their contact information and statements.
- Cooperate with the police but do not admit fault.
- See a doctor right away, even if you don’t think you sustained an injury.
Legal Considerations in Truck Accidents
Various federal and California laws and regulations apply to truckers and trucking companies. Proving someone violated one or more of these laws is an effective way to prove liability for your injuries.
Potentially liable parties in a California truck crash may include:
- Truck operator
- Trucking company
- Designers or manufacturers of the truck or its parts
- The truck’s repair and maintenance team
- Another road user
- A government agency responsible for maintaining safe roads
The Settlement Process Explained
Getting maximum compensation is crucial if you are recovering from truck accident injuries. Hiring an experienced attorney to investigate the crash, gather crucial evidence, and determine liability is advisable.
A lawyer can assist with every aspect of the truck accident settlement process by:
- Filing claim(s) with the appropriate insurance company(s)
- Reviewing an initial settlement offer from the claims adjuster
- Negotiating with the insurer to arrive at a fair settlement amount
- Filing a truck accident lawsuit (if necessary) to seek damages in court
Contact a Truck Accident Attorney in Sacramento
Life after a truck accident can be complicated enough without worrying about filing a legal claim. At the Law Offices of Pius Joseph, we can help you pursue the money you need and deserve with minimal stress. Call or contact us online today for a free case review.