Grocery Store Liability for Injury in California
No one expects to be seriously injured while purchasing groceries. Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents occur with alarming frequency at many grocery stores. Slick floors, cluttered aisles, and missing signage can all contribute to unsafe walkways for customers, significantly increasing the risk of slip and falls.
California law requires grocery stores to keep their locations reasonably safe and free of hazards for customers and other visitors. If you were injured in a grocery store slip and fall, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Contact the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney to discuss the details of your claim in a free initial consultation.
Causes of Grocery Store Slip and Falls
There are many potentially dangerous conditions at grocery stores that could cause customers to slip and fall, including:
- Unattended spills – If anything spills on the floor of a grocery store, employees should clean it up promptly. When a grocery store allows spills to sit unattended, customers may inadvertently slip on the slick surface and fall.
- Lack of proper signage – Wet floor signs should be used after employees clean up a spill or notice that floors have become wet due to environmental factors like rain or snow. Without proper signage, customers may not notice that normally shiny floors are actually wet and slippery, potentially leading to falls.
- Loose or uneven flooring – If carpeting, tiles, mats, or other flooring materials are not even or adequately secured, they may come loose as people walk over them, possibly causing customers to slip or trip and fall.
- Debris or obstructions – When grocery store employees leave debris or stacks of boxes on the floor, customers may be forced to maneuver their way through unsafe paths to retrieve groceries. A fall could occur if a customer trips over random debris or stumbles while trying to navigate blocked aisles.
- Defective steps or pathways – If the steps, staircases, parking lots, or paths leading into a store are not properly maintained, broken steps, potholes, and crumbling foundations could all lead to slip and fall accidents.
What to Do After a Grocery Store Slip and Fall
It’s understandable to feel shaken up after a painful grocery store slip and fall accident. But you should do your best to remain calm and think through your actions carefully. You can protect your legal rights and your ability to recover compensation after a slip and fall by:
- Asking to speak to the grocery store manager – Ask a nearby employee to locate the grocery store manager. When you talk to the manager, let them know where the accident occurred, ask for the store’s insurance information, and request access to security camera footage.
- Requesting a formal incident report – Many major grocery chains have formal processes for recording injuries and other on-site incidents. Ask the manager to file a report on your behalf and provide a copy for your records.
- Seeking prompt medical attention – Even if you don’t require emergency treatment, visit your doctor as soon as possible. Let your doctor know when, where, and how you were hurt. Follow your treatment plan, and get the recommended rest you need to heal.
- Saving evidence from the accident scene – Hold on to any physical evidence you collected from the accident scene, especially the shoes and clothing you wore when you were injured. Save any photos you took of the scene, as well as contact information for anyone who saw you fall.
- Watching what you say to others – If you speak to store employees, insurance representatives, or attorneys, do not minimize your injuries, apologize, or accept blame for the accident. It’s also a good idea to avoid posting or sharing on social media while your claim is pending.
How to Recover Compensation for Injuries
California store owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe and secure for legal visitors, such as customers. When grocery stores fail to uphold their duties, and people get hurt as a result, victims have the right to pursue compensation in a premises liability injury claim.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in a Pasadena grocery store, the following types of evidence could help support your claim:
- Photos and video footage – Photographic evidence and video footage can show precisely what dangerous conditions were present in the store and what happened as a result.
- Physical evidence – The clothing and shoes you wore as well as any debris or other materials related to the slip and fall accident should be preserved in plastic bags and presented to your attorney.
- Property or lease records – These documents can serve as proof that the grocery store owner or manager was legally responsible for the property at the time of your injury.
- Store incident reports – If you reported the incident to the store owner or manager, a copy of the report could be important to your claim.
- Witness statements – Testimony from eyewitnesses or expert witnesses can help support your side of the story and establish the negligence of the store, the owner, or employees.
- Your medical records – Your medical records from any examinations or treatment you received after the slip and fall can act as proof of your condition. Medical bills can show exactly how much your injuries have cost you.
- Your pay stubs or records – Previous and current pay stubs, schedules, or bank records can demonstrate that you were forced to miss time at work and accept reduced pay as a result of your slip and fall accident.
- Expert analysis – Your premises liability attorney in Pasadena may work with accident reconstruction specialists, medical professionals, economists, and other experts to craft a strong claim for compensation on your behalf.
Contact a Pasadena Attorney for Your Grocery Store Slip and Fall Case
A slip and fall injury can have a significant impact on your health, your independence, and your ability to provide for your family. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident due to grocery store negligence, you deserve compensation to help you recover.
At the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney, we are committed to helping injured Californians claim what is rightfully theirs after suffering debilitating injuries. We handle claims involving all major grocery chains, including slip and falls at Walmart and slip and falls at Costco. Contact us today to talk to a slip and fall lawyer in Pasadena, CA in a free initial case review.