How Much Is Your Slip-and-Fall Case Worth in Pasadena, CA?
We’ve all fallen before. Most of the time, we escape with a few bumps, bruises, and perhaps a little embarrassment. But sometimes slip-and-fall accidents result in severe trauma. Recovering from these injuries is painful, expensive, and not always a guarantee.
When a slip-and-fall accident occurs due to someone else’s negligence, California law allows victims to seek compensation from the at-fault party. If you’ve been hurt, reach out to the Law Offices of Pius Joseph today. With over 30 years of experience, Pasadena attorney Pius Joseph has the knowledge and experience you’re looking for in a California premises liability lawyer.
Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for injured people. We’ll fight fiercely for maximum compensation for your slip-and-fall injury. Your health and peace of mind are always our top priority, and you’ll know that from the moment you hire us. Get a free initial consultation by calling, contacting us via live chat, or visiting our contact page now.
How Much Is a Slip-and-Fall Case Worth?
It’s hard to say how much any particular slip-and-fall accident claim may be worth until we’ve had a chance to go over the facts of the case. There are a variety of different factors that can impact the value of your claim, such as:
- Extent of your injuries: Generally speaking, the more severe your injuries are, the more money you can potentially recover in your claim. Serious injuries usually mean higher medical bills, more time off work, a greater chance of developing a long-term disability, and pain and suffering. All of these facts may allow you to make a case for significant compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Quality of the evidence: To recover any compensation after a slip-and-fall accident, you’ll need to establish that the liable party acted negligently. You’ll also need to show how the property owner’s negligence directly led to your injuries. This is all accomplished by collecting and presenting strong evidence to the other side. Your medical records, accident reports, surveillance footage, witness accounts, expert testimony, and further proof can boost your case. The more credible evidence you have, the stronger the case you have for compensation.
- Whether you are partly responsible for your injuries: California law allows you to recover compensation for your injuries even if you are partially to blame for an accident. However, if you are found to be partially liable for a slip-and-fall accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be reduced according to your percentage of fault. This number is determined by an insurance adjuster, judge, or jury.
To give yourself the best chance of recovering the maximum amount possible for your injuries, get help from a California slip-and-fall attorney. They can help build a compelling case that supports your right to fair compensation. With their help, you can also get the time and space you need to recover in peace.
Calculating the Value of a Slip-and-Fall Claim in Pasadena
California law allows slip-and-fall accident victims to recover compensation for their economic losses, such as their medical costs, and non-economic losses, such as their pain and suffering. To determine the value of your slip-and-fall accident claim, your lawyer will evaluate the types of losses you’ve suffered.
By filing an insurance claim or lawsuit against the liable property owner, you can potentially recover compensation for:
- Medical bills: This includes the full cost of any treatment you need related to your slip-and-fall injuries, such as the cost of doctors’ visits, hospital stays, transportation to your appointments, physical therapy, prescription medications, lab work, X-rays, and other tests.
- Missed wages: If you hit your head or sustain another serious injury in a slip-and-fall accident, you could miss weeks or months of work. You can recover the value of these lost wages through a slip-and-fall accident claim.
- Your diminished ability to work and earn a living: A traumatic brain injury, damage to your spinal cord, or another major injury may prevent you from working at the same level you did before the accident. In catastrophic injury cases, you may never be able to work again. This is a devastating financial loss, especially if you’re young, but a slip-and-fall accident claim can help you recover compensation to make up for any remaining disabilities.
- Pain and suffering: Though it can be difficult to document, the pain from a slip-and-fall accident can be excruciating and severely impact your quality of life. With help from an attorney, you can claim compensation for the pain you’ve suffered as a result of your injuries.
- Mental anguish: Physical injuries, especially ones that occur unexpectedly, can have mental health effects, too. Anxiety and depression are common psychological injuries after traumatic accidents, especially if a slip-and-fall injury radically alters the person’s life. A knowledgeable slip-and-fall lawyer can help you claim compensation for the mental effects of your injuries, which insurance companies often undervalue.
How to Maximize Your Case Value
Talking to a slip-and-fall lawyer right away is the best way to protect your case after an accident. However, there are other steps you can take to help you maximize your case value, both at the accident scene and in the days and weeks after the incident.
At the accident scene
If you are able, try to:
- Call 911: Broken bones and head injuries are common after a fall. Getting emergency treatment is essential to give you the best possible chance of avoiding complications.
- File a written report before leaving the scene: Thorough documentation of the accident is crucial to establishing fault in a slip-and-fall claim. Before getting medical treatment, make sure you or someone you know files a written report with the owner or manager of the property where the accident occurred. Keep a copy for your records.
- Preserve any evidence: Get photos from the accident scene, witness names and contact information, and inquire about whether there is surveillance footage of the incident. This evidence can all help establish how the accident occurred and who’s to blame.
After the accident
- Don’t talk to insurance companies before speaking to a slip-and-fall lawyer: Be careful when talking to insurance companies after an accident, as anything you say could be recorded and used against you. It’s best to let your attorney handle any communication with insurance companies to protect you from saying something that could be self-incriminating.
- See a doctor as soon as possible: Getting treatment quickly after a slip and fall is essential for two reasons. First, quick treatment improves your chances of a full recovery and ensures that any internal injuries are addressed before they cause additional harm. Second, putting off treatment after your accident means the property owner and their insurance company can argue that your delay caused or worsened your injuries, diminishing the potential value of your claim.
- Follow your doctor’s orders precisely: Failing to follow your doctor’s prescribed treatment plan can lower the value of your claim. That’s because the property owner could argue that your actions worsened your injuries and that therefore, they should not be held responsible for your injuries.
- Get your medical records: Medical records are an essential piece of evidence in any personal injury claim. Without these documents, you’ll have a much harder time proving the extent of your injuries and recovering compensation for what you’ve been through. Some doctors’ offices charge for these services, so talk to your attorney about whether the law firm should take care of this step for you.
- Stay off social media: You don’t want to give anyone any potential ammunition to use against your claim, so it’s best to refrain from posting updates on social media while your case is active.
How a Pasadena Slip-and-Fall Lawyer Can Help You
If you want the best chance of recovering full and fair compensation after a slip-and-fall accident, you’ll benefit from the help of an experienced attorney. A Pasadena slip-and-fall lawyer can help you with your claim by:
- Gathering evidence while you recover from your injuries
- Putting an appropriate value on your case based on the economic and non-economic losses you’re suffered
- Handling all communication with the liable party and their insurance company, as well as sending them any records they request and drafting letters to preserve crucial evidence
- Negotiating aggressively for the full value of your losses
- Preparing your case for trial if a reasonable settlement agreement can’t be reached
Contact a Pasadena Slip-and-Fall Accident Attorney Today
Don’t let property owners and their insurance companies pressure you into settling for an unfair settlement. The team at the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney in Pasadena has the experience, skills, and resources needed to pursue the compensation you need to get your life back on track. Get a free case review by calling our office in Pasadena, filling out our contact form, or calling us today.