Traumatic Brain Injury Settlements in CA
Life after a traumatic brain injury (TBI) is never easy. Even survivors with so-called “mild” brain injuries can suffer from lasting effects that impact their lives and livelihoods for years to come. And for those with catastrophic TBIs, the challenges, costs, and consequences are even greater.
California law allows people who suffer TBIs due to another’s negligence to demand compensation for their losses through a personal injury claim. A successful TBI settlement or verdict can provide much-needed income for victims and their loved ones to rebuild their lives and prepare for the future.
Before you agree to any kind of brain injury settlement in California, talk to an attorney from the Law Offices of Pius Joseph. Insurance companies know that the stakes are high with TBI claims and look for every opportunity to reduce victims’ payouts. With the right legal representation, you stand a better chance of obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Call or contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can happen from a violent blow to the head or when an object pierces the skull and enters the brain tissue. TBIs vary significantly in severity. A person with a concussion might only need rest and monitoring to make a full recovery. By contrast, someone with massive internal brain bleeding from a car accident would need emergency care and be more likely to suffer from permanent disabilities.
Some common types of TBIs include:
- Penetrating injuries
- Diffuse axonal injury
TBIs appear with a wide range of symptoms. Sometimes, especially with concussions, the signs of a brain injury may not emerge until hours or days after the accident.
Common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury include:
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Constant headache or a headache that worsens
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurry vision
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dilated pupils
- Inability to wake up
- Impulsivity and irritability
- Problems with memory, logic, reasoning
- Changes in personality and emotion
- Speech and other sensory impairments
- Balance problems and other motor difficulties
If you sustained a TBI in an accident in Pasadena, contact one of our injury attorneys today to review your case. You could claim compensation for your injuries from the person whose negligence caused your injuries.
How Much Is a Brain Injury Case Worth?
It’s impossible to say how much a brain injury case is worth without examining the facts of the case. In general, the more severe the injury and its resulting expenses, the more compensation you may be entitled to receive. An experienced traumatic brain injury attorney can estimate what your case is worth after reviewing your case.
To determine a fair case value, your lawyer must document and calculate your losses. This step can be challenging. It’s easy enough to calculate your medical expenses by tallying up your bills, but what about future care costs? Or your pain and suffering? A knowledgeable California traumatic brain injury attorney from the Law Offices of Pius Joseph can do this for you.
Compensation in a Brain Injury Case
If someone else’s negligence caused your TBI, you might qualify to pursue compensation through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. You could potentially recover money for:
- Medical bills: You might be entitled to recover compensation for present and future medical expenses related to your injuries. This could include compensation for hospital bills, meals and lodging, surgery costs, prescription drug expenses, physical therapy bills, and other costs associated with your recovery.
- Lost earnings and disability: If you cannot return to work after sustaining a TBI, you could claim compensation for your lost wages and diminished earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Sustaining a traumatic brain injury can be a taxing experience, both physically and emotionally. After an accident, you could seek compensation for physical pain, emotional suffering, lost enjoyment of life, mental anguish, and PTSD through a lawsuit.
- Other losses: Through a brain injury claim or lawsuit, you could also seek compensation for vocational training, property damage, domestic services, child care, and other services you need due to the accident.
Are You Eligible for Punitive Damages?
You could be eligible for punitive damages depending on the circumstances of your traumatic brain injury case, though juries do not frequently award them. Punitive damages are designed to “punish” the at-fault party for excessive recklessness, malice, and gross negligence. For example, if an impaired driver hit you with two prior DUIs, a court might award you punitive damages with the hopes of preventing similar behavior from happening again in the future.
Contact Us Today
If you suffered a TBI due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct, you need a California traumatic brain injury attorney on your side now. Navigating the claims process can be challenging, and you shouldn’t have to worry about negotiating a settlement while you are trying to heal from your injuries.
At the Law Offices of Pius Joseph, our proven legal team can handle every aspect of your case for you. We’ll investigate the accident, identify the liable party(s), gather the evidence, file the claim, and fight for the TBI settlement you need.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation.