Many truck drivers spend long hours on the highway each day. That amount of driving can lead to mental and physical fatigue, which only worsens if truckers exceed the length of time they’re legally permitted to work or drive.
If you have been hurt in a truck accident caused by truck driver fatigue, contact the Law Offices of Pius Joseph today for a free case evaluation. Our Pasadena truck accident lawyer can review your rights and demand maximum compensation from every liable party in your case. Call or contact us today to get started.
How Does Fatigue Contribute to Truck Crashes?
The dangers of fatigued truck driving are numerous. Drowsy driving is considered just as dangerous as drunk driving. Fatigue can have many of the same effects on a person as intoxication, including reduced reaction times, impaired perception and judgment, and lowered inhibitions. Tired drivers are more likely to make careless or reckless decisions while on the road. They are also less able to react in an emergency safely.
In addition, fatigue also puts a truck driver at risk of falling asleep behind the wheel or slipping into microsleep, a condition where a person repeatedly loses consciousness for seconds at a time. A truck driver who falls asleep for five seconds on the highway could travel the length of a football field without knowing it. That’s more than enough time to cause a devastating wreck.
What Causes Truck Driver Fatigue?
Truck drivers face many risk factors for fatigue, including:
- Long work shifts
- Driving at dawn or dusk, when the body is naturally sleepy
- Lack of sleep
- Time changes
- Medical conditions, such as sleep apnea
- Employer pressure
- Hours-of-service violations
What Can I Do If a Fatigued Driver Caused My Accident?
People hurt in truck accidents caused by driver fatigue could be entitled to compensation for their injuries and related losses. If you’ve been injured, take these steps to protect any future legal claim you choose to file:
- Get the license, registration, insurance, and employer information from the truck driver.
- Document the accident scene by taking photos or videos, if possible.
- If you don’t need emergency medical care, see a doctor immediately after the crash to identify any injuries you may have sustained.
- Speak to a truck accident attorney as soon as possible to get an independent investigation underway.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
Filing a truck accident claim raises complex questions about liability, or who should be held responsible for the wreck. A truck accident lawyer help by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation: Reviewing critical evidence like driver logs, dispatch records, and in-cab or surveillance camera footage may help prove that driver fatigue caused the crash.
- Advising you of your rights and options for seeking financial recovery. An experienced attorney can explain what to expect at each stage of your claim so there are no surprises.
- Filing your legal claim. In some instances, a claim may need to be filed with multiple insurers. A truck accident lawyer can file all claims on your behalf.
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters and defense lawyers for a fair and full settlement. Most injury claims settle out of court.
- Filing a truck driver fatigue lawsuit. If a fair settlement cannot be reached during negotiation, you may be able to recover the money you deserve at trial.
There’s never an excuse for fatigued truck driving. If you were hurt in a collision with a drowsy truck driver, contact the Pasadena Law Offices of Pius Joseph for a free consultation. You can count on us to hold the liable parties accountable for their actions as you get your life back on track.