What to Do After an Accident on Someone Else's Property

what to do after an accident in california

Sustaining an injury on someone else’s unsafe property can be as disorienting as it may be physically damaging.

Knowing what steps to take, however, after an accident happens can help injured people get on the path to justice and financial recovery. And that can be the key to helping them start reclaiming their lives.

After an Accident on an Unsafe Property…

  1. Seek immediate medical attention
    You may need some emergency care, depending on how badly you were injured, and getting this care as soon as possible following an injury can be essential to prevent further health complications. So, make sure you get checked out by a medical professional. Taking this step will also mean that there will be a doctor’s report describing your injuries, and this report can be important to a future premises liability case.
  2. Report the accident to the proper authority
    The “proper” authority will depend on where the accident happened. For instance, if you slipped and fell in a retail store, that authority could be the store owner or manager; or, if you were hurt on residential property, the authority to information could be the landlord or homeowner’s association. Making the effort to report the incident to authorities can result in another accident report, which may also be important to proving negligence later.
  3. Take pictures of the accident scene
    If possible, snap photos of the scene of the accident as soon as you can following the incident. These pictures can document the unsafe or risky features that may have contributed to your injuries, again possibly serving as important evidence for a future premises liability case.
  4. Keep your medical bills
    If you end up needing ongoing medical care following your accident, keep every bill you receive. These bills can be pivotal to establishing the compensation to which you may be entitled later.
  5. Limit your contact with insurance companies
    If one or more insurance companies contact you following an accident, be very careful in your discussions with them, as what you tell these companies may impact your future financial recovery.
  6. Contact the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney
    Taking this step after an accident is the single best way for you to protect your rights to compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses. In fact, if you are only able to do one thing following an accident, this is the step you should take. That is because our lawyers can take care of everything else associated with your claim, and they will work tirelessly to help you bring your case to the best possible resolution.

Contact the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney

pius josephFor vigorous representation and effective legal advocacy following an accident on an unsafe property, contact a Pasadena premises liability lawyer at the Law Offices of Pius Joseph – Personal Injury Attorney. You can call us at (626) 397-1050 or email us via the contact form on this page.

From offices based in Pasadena, we provide superior representation and service to injured people throughout Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County, Orange County, San Diego County, and the state of California.