Expert Testimony in Car Accident Cases
Expert Testimony in Car Accident Cases
California personal injury laws allow accident victims to pursue compensation from negligent parties after a car accident. But unfortunately, the system does not always work in favor of injured people. Insurance companies that should look out for victims routinely challenge valid injury claims. If you are having trouble recovering compensation after a California car accident, testimony from an expert witness could significantly boost your case.
Not every car accident claim requires expert testimony. However, expert witnesses are valuable assets in highly complex and technical cases. And with more than 269,000 people hurt and over 3,700 killed in auto accidents statewide in a recent year, some cases are inevitably more complicated than others.
At the Law Offices of Pius Joseph, our legal team works with experts from a wide range of industries to help crash victims put their lives back together. Whether you need a medical expert, a forensic expert, or someone with expertise in accident reconstruction, our legal team knows the right people to strengthen your car accident claim. Let us help you pursue fair compensation and get your life back on track.
Ready to learn more about how we can help? Call or contact us today for a free consultation with a California car accident lawyer.
Using Expert Testimony in Car Accident Cases
In a California car accident lawsuit, an expert witness is someone who did not personally witness the crash but has specialized knowledge and expertise that applies to your case. An expert witness who speaks on your behalf can add context to key pieces of evidence or explain complex topics to an insurance company, judge, or jury.
Strictly speaking, you do not need expert witnesses as part of your case. And if you have enough evidence to support your claim, an expert witness may not be necessary. But if the evidence is lacking, or if a defendant or insurance company challenges the facts you present, expert witnesses can be strong allies who bolster your case.
Car accident expert witnesses can add value in many types of crash scenarios. Imagine a driver hits you, and no one else witnesses the crash. There is no third-party record (such as surveillance camera footage) of what happened. In this situation, an accident reconstruction expert can analyze the crash scene and offer scientific insight into what happened. Without their testimony, making a compelling case for compensation could be challenging.
Expert Witnesses: Why They Matter
Expert witnesses often play two critical roles in California auto accident cases. The first role is to add context or explain complicated concepts. For example, a medical expert might explain the severity of your injuries and how they impact your life. Alternatively, an economic expert could shed light on how your injuries have diminished your future earning potential. Their testimony could allow you to make a solid case for more compensation in your car accident lawsuit.
The second role expert witnesses play is to explain what happened in the absence of other evidence. If there were no eyewitnesses to the accident and you have no visual record of what happened (e.g., photos, video footage, etc.), it will be up to an expert witness to review the existing evidence and explain what happened. In this scenario, testimony from an expert witness could make or break your case.
Types of Expert Witnesses in Car Accident Cases
At the Law Offices of Pius Joseph, we have built a strong network of subject-matter experts to support our clients. Common types of car accident experts include:
- Medical experts – A medical expert is someone trained in anatomy, physiology, and medicine. In many cases, a medical expert has specialized training in a specific field, such as neurology, cardiology, pathology, orthopedics, etc. A car accident lawyer might ask a medical expert to examine your health records and other evidence to explain the severity of your injuries. In wrongful death cases, a forensic pathologist can testify about the time and cause of the victim’s death.
- Forensic experts – A forensic expert is usually a professional investigator who answers factual questions in an auto accident case. They apply analytical and scientific techniques to address critical issues, such as how the crash happened and who was responsible.
- Chemical experts – A chemical expert has extensive knowledge of chemistry, toxicology, and similar fields. They can use their knowledge to analyze substances related to a car accident case, as well as the effects of these substances. For instance, a chemical expert could testify about how the presence of alcohol or drugs in a driver’s body could have contributed to a collision.
- Engineering experts – An engineering expert has in-depth knowledge of mechanical systems and how they work. In a car accident case, an engineering expert could explain how a defective component contributed to a crash in terms that are easy for a judge and jury to understand.
- Economic experts – An economist can be helpful in a car accident case if you need someone to speak about how a crash has affected your finances, both in the immediate aftermath of the collision and moving forward.
- Vocational experts – In a motor vehicle accident, a vocational expert can testify about how your injuries impact your ability to work and whether you can return to work in the future.
When Do You Need Car Accident Expert Testimony?
Expert testimony is crucial in car accident cases with little evidence to support the claim. In cases like this, you may be fighting an uphill legal battle if you cannot call upon experts to back your claims. A car accident lawyer can tell you more about what expert witnesses may be necessary for your case.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Pasadena
The Law Offices of Pius Joseph is a premier personal injury law firm serving Southern California clients in Pasadena, West Covina, Burbank, and East Los Angeles. With decades of experience representing injured people, firm founder Pius Joseph has access to the nation’s top experts and can use their testimony to build a compelling case for you.
Contact our office today for a free case review with an experienced car accident lawyer.